Yesterday (or was it two days ago- oh how they blend and mush together) I get a phone call from my brother -
"Are you sitting down?"
My heart sunk to the bottom of my feet. Sharp intake of air. Shaking hands.
"Yes. . "
"Nothing to alarm you- I don't want to scare you. Mom's fine, BUT"
I hate that stupid conjunction.
"She had an allergic reaction to new medication today. She was given several at once so they aren't sure what caused it. She has trouble breathing, but didn't lose consciousness. She's in the hospital though. I'll call you when we know more."
No. I can't be scared to answer the phone now. To think about every second she was trying to breathe and I was totally oblivious- no idea anything was even wrong. Just like the day they found her cancer.
That's the hardest question. Not how are you, but when people ask, "how's your mom?" I feel terrible because all I can say is, "I don't know." I don't know how she is, I don't know what she needs. I don't know how she's feeling. I can imagine she's tired. I imagine she is worn out. I imagine she's a little bored and wrung out. I know people are really just acknowledging that she's struggling and the only way they know how to talk about it is to shine a bright light on it and ask how she is.
There is no "right way" to react to cancer. Some people cry, others just get quiet. I imagine there are those who get angry and then there people like me who feel nothing. Initially I cried- I cried for my mom. For lost time and memories. For worry and for hope. I bawled for her sorrow and for the ache that no one can explain. And then ... Nothing.
No anger. No hope. Numb. Empty.
I feel like a glass that got left out on the counter with nothing inside. Waiting for something in vain.
I cannot express what I feel inside. I know I put on my teacher face and long for sleep every day. I want to go home and stay away from it all at the same time.
There is no answer for the "why my mom?" question. There is no turning back the clock and filling the timer with more sand, more memories and more hugs.
But there is time to color the grains left with hope, and hugs, and whispered wishes.
My deepest wish? I wish I was stronger. Not for me- for my mom. She is everything I hope to become in a person, in a mother. And for her, I wish I could be her strength and tell her it's okay to rest awhile. It's okay to cry. It's okay to lean on us. It's okay to not be okay. So for her:
It's okay, mom- I can be the strong one today.
Comments
Post a Comment