I never realized how hard it is to walk around Logan until I decided to walk a good ten blocks to the grocery. In Texas, everywhere in my neighborhood is flat. You could ride your bike for miles and hardly feel it. You could walk 3 miles and it's not that big of a deal if you're a little out of shape. In Logan, you feel it. Immediately. It turns out, not only do your calves hurt when you walk up and down hills, but you get wicked shin splints. Ouch. Anyway, funny things you notice when you aren't caught up in busy school and work.
On my way home, I stopped on the corner of a pretty busy street to wait for the crosswalk light. A guy approach me (this at 10:30pm, in Logan... what's the worst that could happen right?), stuck out his hand and introduced himself as Brendon. Well, hi. He went to explain that he just moved here from Salt Lake and was looking for something exciting to do and new people to meet. (Of course, if i wanted to do that, I would walk around a town at night in hopes to find another person doing the same?? ...)
We had a brief conversation, and instead of being guarded and choosing my words carefully, I was more than happy to welcome him to Logan and provided him with not only my real first name, but also my phone number. Afterwards, when I received his follow up text message* I told him to not talk to me because I didn't know who he was and told him I probably shouldn't have talked to him in the first place. I'm pretty sure he was on drugs or something because he recalled the situation as "we met a few nights ago, and you told me to get lost." Odd... I don't recall that.
Call me crazy, call me manic, both were true. It was exciting though to feel that rush of meeting a new stranger and the possibility of danger (as awful and scary as that sounds). My conclusion of that night is this: don't walk alone at night in Logan. No exceptions, when the sun goes down, go home.
*Texting... it's a funny thing this generation has developed. When someone says, "yeah, I'll call you later." Most likely, they will text you. When you talk about having a conversation with a fellow peer, most likely the so-called conversation was texting. How funny it is that "lol" pops up in everyday conversation and that a college student can get away with using numbers as words and slang in a college-level paper. (No joke there, it really happened. *YIKES*).
On my way home, I stopped on the corner of a pretty busy street to wait for the crosswalk light. A guy approach me (this at 10:30pm, in Logan... what's the worst that could happen right?), stuck out his hand and introduced himself as Brendon. Well, hi. He went to explain that he just moved here from Salt Lake and was looking for something exciting to do and new people to meet. (Of course, if i wanted to do that, I would walk around a town at night in hopes to find another person doing the same?? ...)
We had a brief conversation, and instead of being guarded and choosing my words carefully, I was more than happy to welcome him to Logan and provided him with not only my real first name, but also my phone number. Afterwards, when I received his follow up text message* I told him to not talk to me because I didn't know who he was and told him I probably shouldn't have talked to him in the first place. I'm pretty sure he was on drugs or something because he recalled the situation as "we met a few nights ago, and you told me to get lost." Odd... I don't recall that.
Call me crazy, call me manic, both were true. It was exciting though to feel that rush of meeting a new stranger and the possibility of danger (as awful and scary as that sounds). My conclusion of that night is this: don't walk alone at night in Logan. No exceptions, when the sun goes down, go home.
*Texting... it's a funny thing this generation has developed. When someone says, "yeah, I'll call you later." Most likely, they will text you. When you talk about having a conversation with a fellow peer, most likely the so-called conversation was texting. How funny it is that "lol" pops up in everyday conversation and that a college student can get away with using numbers as words and slang in a college-level paper. (No joke there, it really happened. *YIKES*).
Comments
Post a Comment