There are days that I enjoy meeting a ton of people and just being friendly and sociable and other days when I want to kill anyone who even thinks about looking in my general direction. Luckily, the other night was one of those days when I loved people. I was scrapbooking with my beloved (slightly failing who doesn't remember half her life) sister and she called me out on being "that person." You know, the one who has been at college, is close to graduation and then comes home for Christmas Break and sees everyone from high school. Yes, I hang out with my high school friends. Is there really anything wrong with that?! No.

Yeah. That Person.
So- white elephant parties. They are fun and exciting and most people bring stupid gifts, with a few exceptions. One in a while there is a gift worth stealing (like a N*SYNC Christmas CD or a $10 gift card to Target with a weird snowman or shakes his butt, or even a 12-year-old's kit with nail polish and dryer), but mostly you get stuff like a pirate rubber chicken or a dog's chew toy or something highly inappropriate and really really awkward like KY His & Hers something-or-other, at least with friends from high school in Texas. Which, mind you- nothing is wrong with that. I quite enjoyed the party.
However- I got a different feel for White Elephant Parties when I went to a college one for my Mormon FHE (family home evening) group. There was stuff like a hot chocolate kit with marshmallows and a cute mug, or stuffed animals, or a family sized box of wheat thins (that was traded a least 5 times, different rules..) The most inappropriate thing was butt cream with a plunger and my personal favorite because my roommate, AnnieFerrin was it's recipient, a dollar store bra that would support someone as well as a toothpick would hold up a 50 lb. countertop.
Alls I'm saying is life is different in a bubble. The other day I was discussing what school dances were like with my Utah-Native roommates and it was baffling to think that stake dances and prom were about the same experience. I guess growing up in Texas was obviously different than growing up in Utah, especially Logan or Provo (please watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84u5k4bboU4). I've loved living in the bubble for my college years. I've learned a lot of different things I didn't know before- countless new recipes, that being artsy and craftsy is normal, and that it is possible to wear pumps in the snow. It's nice and I have one more semester in this bubble, so I'll appreciate it and love it and enjoy it because it's honestly what I've needed I believe.
That's all.

Yeah. That Person.
So- white elephant parties. They are fun and exciting and most people bring stupid gifts, with a few exceptions. One in a while there is a gift worth stealing (like a N*SYNC Christmas CD or a $10 gift card to Target with a weird snowman or shakes his butt, or even a 12-year-old's kit with nail polish and dryer), but mostly you get stuff like a pirate rubber chicken or a dog's chew toy or something highly inappropriate and really really awkward like KY His & Hers something-or-other, at least with friends from high school in Texas. Which, mind you- nothing is wrong with that. I quite enjoyed the party.
However- I got a different feel for White Elephant Parties when I went to a college one for my Mormon FHE (family home evening) group. There was stuff like a hot chocolate kit with marshmallows and a cute mug, or stuffed animals, or a family sized box of wheat thins (that was traded a least 5 times, different rules..) The most inappropriate thing was butt cream with a plunger and my personal favorite because my roommate, AnnieFerrin was it's recipient, a dollar store bra that would support someone as well as a toothpick would hold up a 50 lb. countertop.
Alls I'm saying is life is different in a bubble. The other day I was discussing what school dances were like with my Utah-Native roommates and it was baffling to think that stake dances and prom were about the same experience. I guess growing up in Texas was obviously different than growing up in Utah, especially Logan or Provo (please watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84u5k4bboU4). I've loved living in the bubble for my college years. I've learned a lot of different things I didn't know before- countless new recipes, that being artsy and craftsy is normal, and that it is possible to wear pumps in the snow. It's nice and I have one more semester in this bubble, so I'll appreciate it and love it and enjoy it because it's honestly what I've needed I believe.
That's all.
Comments
Post a Comment